Introduction and General Terms
What information RTÉ may collect about you;
- How RTÉ will use information we collect about you;
- When RTÉ may use your details to contact you;
- Whether RTÉ will disclose your details to anyone else;
- Your choices regarding the personal information you have provided to us;
RTÉ is committed to safeguarding your personal information. Whenever you provide such information, we are legally obliged to use your information in line with all laws concerning the protection of personal information, including the Data Protection Acts 1998 and 2003 (the “Acts). For the purposes of the Acts, the data controller is RTÉ.
The Saorview Site may contain hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These websites have their own privacy policies and we urge you to review them if you visit them. They will govern the use of personal information you submit whilst visiting these websites. RTÉ cannot accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third party websites.
What information will RTÉ collect about me?
When you sign up to participate in or receive a service from Saorview or register with the online registration system used on the Saorview Site, Saorview Mobile Application or Saorview Connect device, we will ask for and use personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, county you live in, if you consent to receive email communications from Saorview, and whether you are an existing Saorview customer. If you are an existing Saorview customer we will ask you to select your main Saorview device. By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable RTÉ and its Partners (see ‘Will RTÉ share my personal information with anyone else?’ below) to provide you with such of the Saorview Services you select.
Applicable to Saorview Connect only: Usage Data
To help RTÉ improve Saorview Connect, your Saorview Connect device can let us know a few things about how it is being used. This usage data includes information about how you navigate around the screen and use the features of Saorview Connect (this information is provided from key presses on the remote control and from pressing the buttons on the actual device). If you agree to provide usage data to us, this data is sent to a dedicated server hosted in Ireland and the data can only be accessed by the Saorview team.
The data is sent to the server together with the Device ID of your Saorview Connect device. However, a mathematical algorithm called a one-way hash is applied to the Device ID which means it will be infeasible to invert. Therefore, whilst the Saorview team can identify your usage data as all coming from one device there is no way that that data can be traced back to your individual Saorview Connect device.
Further, usage data collected from all Saorview Connect devices will be aggregated together and analysed so that we can learn how people navigate around the screen and use the features of Saorview Connect. We may use that data to try to enhance your user experience. This information is not used to develop a personal profile of you and the log files are regularly deleted.
Once you have set up your Saorview Connect device, you can check your Device ID by selecting ‘Settings’ from the menu and then [‘System information’ and then ‘General info’.
If you change your mind about providing usage data you can change your preference at any time by selecting ‘Settings’ from the menu and then [System settings], and then ‘Usage data’ and select Opt-Out.
How will RTÉ use the information they collect about me?
RTÉ may use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- for "service administration purposes", which means that RTÉ may contact you for reasons related to the service you have signed up for, as set out in paragraph 4 below (e.g., to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance);
- to contact you about a submission you have made to the Saorview Services;
- if you have registered with Saorview ID, to personalise the way content is presented to you in order to reflect your requests;
- IP addresses are used to identify the number of visits from different countries and also to block disruptive use of the Saorview Services; and
- to analyse and improve the services offered on the Saorview Services.
On the basis that the Internet is a global environment, using the Internet to collect and process personal information can involve the transmission of information across international boundaries. Therefore, by using the Saorview Services and submitting personal information to us, you acknowledge our processing of your personal information on this basis.
When will RTÉ contact me?
RTÉ may contact you:
in relation to the functioning of any service you have signed up for in order to ensure that RTÉ can deliver the services to you;
- where you have opted to receive further correspondence;
- to invite you to participate in surveys about Saorview Services (participation is always voluntary);
- for marketing purposes where you have specifically agreed to this (see "Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?" below).
Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
RTÉ will not contact you for marketing purposes, or promote new services to you unless you specifically agree to be contacted for these purposes. If you agree to be contacted for these purposes, you will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe each time you receive an email from Saorview.
Will RTÉ share my personal information with anyone else?
RTÉ will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (e.g., to government bodies and law enforcement agencies). Generally, we will only use your information within RTÉ. However, sometimes RTÉ uses third parties to process your information. RTÉ currently uses the following Partners:
- Freesat, for the platform management of Saorview Connect, provider of both the Saorview Mobile Application and the Saorview ID service;
- Silverpop, for email marketing communications (only applies if you have signed up to Saorview ID);
- Janrain, for the provision of the Saorview ID service (only applies if you have signed up to Saorview ID);
- Google Analytics, for the analysis of use and traffic of the Saorview Services using IP addresses.
Service providers are under an obligation to keep personal information for the purpose for which it was intended and not to pass on any personal information to third parties. In such cases these third parties will be required by RTÉ or RTÉ’s Partners to hold the personal information securely and only to process the information according to RTÉ's instructions.
What if I am a user aged 18 or under?
If you are aged 18 or under, please get your parent / guardian's permission beforehand whenever you provide personal information to Saorview. RTÉ does not allow minors to provide us with personal information without a parent / guardian's consent.
How long will RTÉ keep my personal information?
RTÉ will hold your personal information on its systems as detailed below:
- Saorview ID users: in the case that you wish to cancel your Saorview ID registration, once an account is deleted, while the personal information cannot be used, it stays on the system for a period of 480 days for administration purposes before being deleted automatically.
- Saorview Connect device users: if you have consented to submit usage data, any personal data submitted will be destroyed once the one-way hash has been applied.
- Signing up for a Saorview ID on a Saorview Connect device: your email address will be used to enable you to complete registration for this service. Once Saorview has sent you the email to enable you to complete registration your email address will be destroyed.
- IP address data from Saorview website and Saorview Mobile Application: personal data submitted will be destroyed on a regular basis.
Can I find out what personal information RTÉ holds about me?
Any individual has a right to make an access request, in writing, under Section 4 of the Data Protection Acts for a copy of their personal data held by RTÉ. We will clarify in response to your request the exact RTÉ entity that is the data controller in respect of your personal data. RTÉ may ask for further identification information before the information is released and may charge a maximum fee of €6.35 for the supply of this information to you. RTÉ has 40 days to comply with the access request, subject to the provisions of the Data Protection Acts. It should be noted that under section 21 of the Data Protection (Amendment) Act 2003 there are specific exemptions relating to personal information held for journalistic, artistic and literary purposes. If members of the public wish to see what personal information RTÉ may hold on them, please write to Head of Statutory Compliance, RTÉ, Donnybrook, Dublin 4. General information on Data Protection is available from the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner’s website. If you have any questions or queries about this policy statement please contact our help desk at [email protected]
Changes to the Policy
This Policy may be updated from time to time so you may wish to check it each time you submit personal information to the Saorview Site.
Revised: 14 November 2017
RTÉ © 2015-2017